Thursday, October 4, 2012

Debate Fact-Check: Special Tax Break For Shipping Jobs Overseas? Not Really

The accusations and statistics about taxes bandied about by both candidates last light during the first Presidential debate were somewhat astounding.

One particular exchange caught my attention:

Obama: ....But I also want to close those loopholes that are giving incentives for companies that are shipping jobs overseas. I want to provide tax breaks for companies that are investing here in the United States....Right now, you can actually take a deduction for moving a plant overseas. I think most Americans would say that doesn't make sense. And all that raises revenue.

Romney's Response was incredulous:

Romney: ...Look, I've been in business for 25 years. I have no idea what you're talking about. I maybe need to get a new accountant. . . . But the idea that you get a break for shipping jobs overseas is simply not the case."
As I listened to the exchange I assumed that the President was stating that there was a separate stand-alone provision in the code that had special deductibility rules pertaining to companies that move facilities overseas--which I had never heard of before. Of course, with the Internal Revenue Code consisting of more than 5,000 pages and over 70,000 pages of interpretive regulations, I assumed that the President was right.

In reality, there is no "special" or stand-alone provision that, in the president's words, gives "incentives" to companies to move plants overseas. Any cost of doing business is deductible and so a company can claim a deduction whether it's moving operations to New York or New Delhi.